We had our usual Friday meeting with some excellent 60 second intros from each business but we also discussed a very exciting new plan and discussion from Kendal Vision about helping shape a future vision for Kendal.
Kendal Futures has appointed Farrer Huxley, working with JTP to develop the Vision for
Kendal. The Vision will:
Set out an exciting and compelling future for Kendal
- Focus on the principles of place-making and what makes Kendal unique and special
- Build on the good (because there is already a lot of good in our town)
- Raise expectations and make an exciting case for public and private sector investment
- Generate ideas (and funding strategies) to raise the quality of our town’s public realm
- Set the correct conditions for business growth and investment
- Conclude with a clear Vision and direction based on a short list of key place-making
Why is a Vision needed?
Kendal is a great town to live, work and visit. It enjoys:
- A significant business base
- High rates of economic activity and employment
- An excellent arts and culture offer
- A positive quality of life
But, there are challenges:
- Flooding and flood protection
- Transport infrastructure issues (roads, bridges, parking and rail)
- Maintaining the vitality of the town centre and high street (bucking a national trend)
- Housing deliverability and affordability
- Employment land allocations and delivery
- A decline in the working age population and insufficient numbers to fill jobs.